If you live in the Tucson area, your home could be the site of a whole host of pest problems. While some Arizona pests are just a nuisance, others can be dangerous, and all of them can cause you and your family major problems! Never underestimate the inconvenience and damage of an infestation. Here’s how you can identify five of the most common Arizona household pests and what you need to know about them.
- Termites. Termites cause over $5 Billion in damages every year in the United states. They are a nationwide problem, and Arizona is no exception. In fact, Arizona sits on top of one of the most active subterranean termite belts in the US. Massive colonies of these bugs exist underground, and they can cause major damage that isn’t immediately visible.
- Ants. Ants exist throughout the US, but sometimes they can be dangerous! Fire ants are one of the most common household pests in Arizona. They come in massive colonies and can deliver several painful bites at a time, so you definitely don’t want them around your home, particularly if you have small children or pets! Carpenter ants can also wreak havoc on your home. This species tunnels through damp wood to build their nests, causing major damage to your home. You tend to find them in bathrooms and kitchens. If you spot them, it’s definitely time to call a professional.
- Scorpions. Scorpions are one of the most dangerous household pests in Arizona. Their stings are painful and dangerous and to make matters worse, they can be difficult to spot because of their translucent bodies. While most scorpions have a sting no worse than a bee, bark scorpions inject a highly toxic venom that requires immediate medical attention. If you have lots of shade around your yard or citrus trees in the vicinity, you need to be very careful about keeping an eye out for bark scorpions. They are small, only 2-3 inches long, but their sting can result in intense pain, breathing difficulties, or convulsions.
- Spiders. Arizona is home to numerous spider species, most of them large and all of them creepy! Most spiders are harmless and though their bites can be painful, they won’t cause lasting damage. The main spiders to steer clear of are tarantulas, black widows and brown recluse spiders. While tarantulas are rarely ever found in homes, black widows and brown recluse spiders do often enter homes and their bite requires immediate medical attention.
- Bees and Wasps. Bees and wasps are a common occurrence in Arizona, particularly during the summer months. They can come in very large colonies or smaller occurrences, and often use homes as a site to build their nests. While not inherently dangerous, allergies to their sting are not uncommon and their stings are painful. Additionally, so-called killer bees tend to be aggressive and attack in swarms. These are not the type of pests you want around your home if you have children or pets.
Protecting your home against Arizona household pests is where GreenShield Pest Control comes in. Our proven strategies work to eliminate colonies and nests and protect your home against future infestations. If you’re looking for an experienced team to provide efficient and effective pest control, give us a call at 520-393-3352! We’d love to help you with whatever pest problem you might be experiencing.